About the FLIWC (Contact Info)
You are invited to enter the 18th Annual Finger Lakes International Wine Competition to benefit Camp Good Days and Special Times, a camp dedicated to bring smiles and memories to children with cancer! This year's competition will be held in Rochester, NY, on March 24 & 25, 2018. It is open to commercial wineries from all producing countries.
- In 2017, we had 16 countries, enter more than 3,077 wines, judged by 52 prestigious judges from 11 countries, maintaining the highest international judging standards as we have since we began in 2000!
- Each wine is judged on its own merit—its presence, balance and varietal character - not by how it compares to other wines in the flight.
- While it is common knowledge that wines go through various stages of quality development, each wine entered in FLIWC is judged for what it is at the time of judging - not for what it might become in the future.
- Wines are blind judged in flights, with each wine identified only by a computer generated code number.
- Each glass is labeled with this code number and the judges are given a scoring sheet with the number and the variety of the wine (i.e., Chardonnay).
- All flights are staged in a separate back room and delivered to the judging room. Re-pours, when necessary, from a second unopened bottle are also staged in the back room and delivered to the judging room.
- All wines are presented to the judges in Riedel crystal stemware.
- JOHN ROSE AWARD for the top Riesling. Double Gold medal-winning Rieslings are judged again in a Finals Round to select this year’s best Riesling.
- CRYSTAL GRAPE AWARD for the top Ice Wine will be selected from gold-medal-winning ice wines during a Finals Round for the top Ice wine. Double Gold medal-winning Ice wines are judged again in a Finals Round to select this year’s best Ice wine.
- RAUL CASTELLANI AWARD for the best South American wine from any category.
- BEST-IN-CLASS AWARDS will be given in the following categories: Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc, Fruit Wine and Champagne/Sparkling, along with their Double Gold medals.
- Medals are awarded for all Double Gold, Gold, Silver, and Bronze winning wines.
- All award-winning wines are featured on our web site within one week of the competition.
Award-winning wines will be featured at several public events following the competition, including a charitable gala to benefit Camp Good Days and Special Times. The Finger Lakes International Wine Auction and Dinner attracts more than 500 wine aficionados and collectors who gather for a fun evening of wine tasting, dinner and an auction of medal wines, one-of-a kind items, and wonderful experiences.